DID YOU KNOW...
... that the substance that makes cayenne peppers hot - "capsaicin" - is also really good for your health? Studies have found that cayenne peppers significantly reduce blood cholesterol. In fact, cultures that include hot peppers in their diet have a much lower rate of heart attack and stroke.
Tomato Cayenne Soup
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter & 1 Tab. Olive Oil
- 10 basil leaves chopped fine
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 plumb tomatoes chopped
- 6 whole tomatoes cubed/diced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cups vegetable stock,
1.Use all of the unsalted butter plus olive oil to sauté onion until onion is tender and slightly brown (approx. 12 minutes).
- add to hot onions the chopped tomatoes, cayenne& garlic, stir over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour warm onion/tomato mixture into a blender and puree & vegetable stock
- Return entire mix to stove top and salt to taste.
Serve with Seasoned Croutons or a Grilled Cheese Sandwich!